To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 07, 2009 4:57 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Hohner Bass Harp?

Hello, Mr. Bowman.

This is only a guess, and may be 100% wrong.

The Hohner Educator Bass #976 was made in the 1930s through the 1950s (?)
as a low-priced introduction to bass harp playing. I don't know if this is
your  Chromatica bass harp.

The Educator's range was not in the range of a two octave, E-E double
bass harp. The Educator bass started at the C in the bass clef, and went to C#,
one octave higher, plus the C# above middle C.

It was a blow-only harp, with only one comb, and the reeds were located
with the natural reeds (white keys on a piano) on the lower row, and the sharp
reeds (black keys on a piano) on an upper row.

The Hohner Educator series was a group of harmonicas created for school
music programs. There was an Educator solo-system single reed 12-hole
diatonic, possibly an Educator chord harp with a few simple chords, and the
Educator bass harp.

This is only a guess. I've never seen the Educator bass or chord harps.

Today's "Hohnica" Educator valveless 10-hole slide chromatic is of the
earlier Hohner series, but is made in China for Hohner.

John Broecker