  From: John F. Potts
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 7:04 PM
  Subject: [Harp-L] Gus the harmonica player

  In any field of endeavor, the inept or inexperienced often don't
  realize what they don't know.  Because a harmonica doesn't have keys
  or frets (or a mouthpiece that won't let you play a note without
  using proper embouchure), once a person can get a single note, bend
  some holes and understands what harp to use in order to play in
  second position, they are tempted to think they can play.  And since
  it's actually hard to hit a really bad note playing major key blues
  in second position, they are able to delude themselves.
  Unfortunately, many such players are also resistant to learning some
  practical music theory when given the opportunity. But they are
  usually not shy about taking whatever opportunities that may present
  themselves to jam or play with other musicians in public, because it
  can be exhilarating. And when exhilarated, it's easy to get carried
  away. This is a combination of characteristics that combine to give
  harmonica players in general a bad reputation.

  It's one thing not to know what you don't know. That is often a
  starting point, and we all have to start somewhere. The problem is
  with those who remain oblivious to what they don't know and so never
  develop musically on the instrument.  And there is no lack of non-
  musicians who think they can play the harmonica.

  Lest i appear to be too judgmental, I am self taught and play no
  other instrument.  But, over the years, I've learned a lot from the
  musicians I've played with, and the more i learn, the more i
  understand what there is that I don't know.  And one of the most
  important things to know is when to lay out.

  JP