Re: [Harp-L] Defining "Gussing"

I once played at a neighborhood bar...( you might call it something else) where the patrons were mostly on foot do to previous license revocations.
Once upon a gig...
There was this guy playing from the back...great volume...wrong key. I was not much better than him at the time so this was intimidating.

I could see him gaining courage as he drank and the night wore on.
finally he made his run for the stage....
he jumped...this was a high stage!
grabbed my singing mic stand to secure his foothold on the stage.
and began to fall slowly backward...
I kept playing through my harp mic and gently..(as i remember it now) placed my foot in his chest, grabbed the mic stand and pushed him backwards.

This was the best applause (maybe the only) that I got all night and the guy was not so gently escorted to the parking lot by a gang of self appointed
security guards...

No...I don't miss that place...

but gussing outside the gig while you can see in the window...is how I learned most of what I know today about playing on stage..

I never wanted the guy on stage to see me as I hid in the shadows and sucked in his life force...

Mark Hummel, Mark Ford, and David Burgin, Andy Just.......even Taj Mahal...I couldn't sit in the club watching the show...I just went outside and played along.
Nobody knew but me..It would be rude and distracting if anyone could see or hear you...but I would suggest picking the nicer parking lots.
I was always frustrated if some drunk noticed me and came over to comment on my show...
I wanted to be left alone to work out on my own.

That's the best kind of gussing...or is it gussing at all.

I still do it when I know a great Sax player will be on stage...
you can't get this from a recording...

Please...Not in the audience...no....I can hear the guy from playing in the restroom...all the way from the stage...nobody else can...but I can hear him.
It ruins my night...too insecure I guess...or maybe I am just listening very carefully.
Nobody any good ever does this...do they...It would be worse if they were good, I guess.

Please check you harps at the door.

Grant