Re: [Harp-L] Opening Cover Plates

> Opening Cover Plates ,,, Any videos online showing how to do this to a Golden Melody?

I haven't seen any vids but do have GMs with cover plates "opened up"
by others (back and side) and by myself (back only).

However, I don't alter GM cover plates any longer as I didn't find a
difference in terms of loudness, tone, etc, when I compare the altered
coverplates to unaltered ones, when tested on a specific comb/reed
plate GM combination. Also confirmed this impression by asking 3rd
parties and by comparing digitally recorded test samples.

The only thing that changed was that the altered cover plates were
less resistant to distortion / crushing than when in their pre-altered
state.

It may be that differing cover plate designs are affected differently.
The GM cover plates are pretty solid compared to some other models.

Or perhaps we're back to a "comb material"-like controversy. I'm
interested in what Vern might have to say on this? Perhaps he's
already made his feelings known...

Here's a link to a vid that Dave Payne made on opening up cover
plates. If trying on a GM would suggest leaving the middle cover plate
brace at the back of the cover plates intact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAhD_ZGaDcE