Re: [Harp-L] For Zoom H2 Fans

Ken Deifik wrote:
Here's my beef with the H2. You have to hit the record button twice because the first hit is for level testing and the second one actually initiates the recording process.

that's actually pretty standard. my minidisc does the same thing. when you
hit record, it comes up paused so you can set the levels before the actual recording
begins. it also flashes, like the h2, so you know it's paused.

> I wrote them a polite note suggesting that they make the two-hit system into
> an option, and got a dismissive note saying that this might be suggested at
> some design meeting at some point.

even if they liked your idea, implementing it could be a major big deal for them.
remember that their user interface is severely constrained by a tiny device with
a small number of physical controls, most of which by necessity serve multiple purposes.

most tapers want to be able to set levels without recording anything. so if it came
up in record mode like you suggest, you'd need a way to pause it. you can't just
hit "record" to pause it (like my minidisc does), because "record" is already used
to stop recording once it's started. you could change that, but then you need a
way to stop it. there's no "stop" button. maybe you could use "play". oh wait,
that once is marked "play/pause". maybe that one. or, you could add a button.
no, wait, no physical space. and a 10 cent cost for another button, times 100,000
units, just cost you a bunch of money. plus you'd need to retool to manufacture
a different circuit board. and print new manuals....

you get the idea.

> For a company that got almost everything SOOOOO right, they really are being
> boneheads about this.

the point i'm trying to make is that designers operate under a lot of different
constraints: physical size, complexity, parts cost, marketing, etc. changing things
after the fact can be extremely costly, in ways that are not obvious to users.

in this particular case, the h2 behaves the same as the edirol and minidiscs and
perhaps other recorders, proving a useful feature (level setting without recording)
within the constraints of the device. but even if it was a boneheaded idea, it's probably
smart of them to leave it alone.

(the astute reader might discern that i've done a bit of user interface design
on small devices myself).

--
We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give.
- Kathy Moser