Re: [Harp-L] re: Will Scarlett and my overblowing journey

Michael,

Great post. Really nice to hear some of the details of your personal journey. I was present at some of the events/performances you discuss, and though I kept my opinions to myself, I have always greatly respected what you have been trying to achieve with harp. Much more ambitious than I have ever been.

One thing you said, with respect to extended position playing, that to me, is solid gold:

"Not every position shines in blues, but I believe every
position shines in some style of music.  By exploring the different
positions in every style of music I play on a regular basis, I
discovered some wonderful music I would not have discovered any other
way."

In my opinion, this is a great truth. In my own explorations of positions/overblow playing  (which are minuscule in comparison to your own), I have found great application for certain musical styles in 12th position, 5th and others, that simply don't work in 1st, 2nd or 3rd (my mainstay positions). I seriously doubt I would have ever ~thought~ to try these ideas if it had not been for people like you who are really stretching the boundaries of our instrument.

I applaud your efforts, appreciate your humor, and sincerely encourage you to continue following your heart in whatever musical direction it takes you. The discoveries you make along the way are invaluable, not only for yourself, but for the harp community at large.

Keep up the good work.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

TeraBlu Band on My Space