[Harp-L] RE: Madcat in New Jersey review, with Rob Paparozzi review to boot!

Rob's review of the concert was excellent, although he did omit one notable highlight: that his solos were dynamite. Chris was digging them, as were Joel and Madcat who enjoyed Rob so much they invited him up again to join them for the encore. And in my case, I got yet another encore of Rob after the concert ended thanks to his new CD, "Etruscan Soul," which kept me awake on the long drive home. This is one fine piece of music by one very talented musician. His vocals are of the visceral stuff that plumbs the depth of the heart, and his harp, be it diatonic or equally accomplished chromatic, can range in quality from a delicate ballad to ripping rock. Did you know he also plays lovely piano? Rob's versatility extends to his musical tastes which sample everything on the table from jazz to New Orleans to R&B to the many flavors of rock to the prodigious forbearer of them all, blues. In each case, he picks the cream of the crop to sink his teeth into, resulting in a refined variety which makes the CD so delicious to listen to. A hearty Etruscan feast for the ears! Oh, and nice liner notes too. For each song Rob provides the background which inspired it, even including the odd harp tuning to accompany the instrumentation. Best of all, in the acknowledgments he gives a shout-out to our very own harp-l! It’s a first rate CD, highly recommended, not just because it has great harp, but because it’s simply great music that warms the soul.

Ansel

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:38:19 -0500
From: "Rob Paparozzi" <Chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Madcat in New Jersey review (long!)
To: "Harp -l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I was fortunate to attend a wonderful night of music last night with my wife
at Kean University in Union, NJ (my old Alma Mater).
Madcat was in concert with: a trio called "Triple Play" which features Chris
Brubeck ( Fretless Bass, Trombone, Piano, Vocals), Joel Brown (Guitar &
Vocals) and of course Madcat Ruth (Diatonic, Chromatic Harmonica, Jaw Harp,
asst percussion & toys).

    If this trio is ever appearing at a College or Concert Hall near you,
you must go! To say this was an entertaining show would be a serious
understatement. The Myriad of Genres covered with such expertise in 90min
set is just astonishing. The Level of Musicianship combined with the REAL
power to connect and interact with their audience was equally impressive.
The band can go from a beautiful ballad to a rollicking tune in 7/4 or 5/4.
But the way it is presented and even teaching the audience to clap along in
odd time sigs is something that adds to the way the whole evening of
eclectic music flows and keeps the audience wanting more.

    The group plays two sets with a brief intermission. I think this
configuration has been together for about 10-11 yrs, but the Madcat's
Brubeck connection goes back as early as 1969 when Chris asked madcat to
join his band which was to become SKY KING (Produced by the legendary Steve
Cropper). I saw that band open for Muddy Waters in NYC in the  70's, I
actually met Madcat the 1st time that night and we've been friends ever
since..

    Really good originals by Chris Brubeck like "Now that the Children Have
Gone".... a ballad about the empty nest syndrome all of it's perks and tears
and memories! His dad's (Dave Brubeck's classics) "Take Five" & "Blue Rondo
ala Turk" take on a whole new life with Madcat in the mix....wow! The 3 of
them wrote a beautiful song en route to a gig down south called "Road to
Thomasville"...and on and on...you should get this CD so when they come to a
town near YOU you will be familiar with what they will share with you with
MANY added surprises. This year the trio played with the symphony in
Singapore, I got to hear some of it on audio and I'm just blown away of how
well they blended with this orchestra using both conventional and eastern
instruments. Another added perk is in addition to their World Class
Musicianship, they all SING very well and has chosen some cool features
throughout the show.

here is a link to Madcat's CD's...check it out and pick up one or 2, you
won't be sorry.....!

http://www.madcatmusic.net/index.html

    Madcat did mention that Chris would be calling me up out of the audience
to play on a number since I was a friend of Madcat's and Alumni of Kean U.
However, I nearly went into shock, I got on stage for there last number and
they go into a break neck tempo of "Blue Rondo ala Turk", OMG, I was hoping
for a lil' swing blues to jam along on!..Luckily the trio had the melody
covered and to my relief, there was a blues section to blow over...whew!...I
also did the encore..."Crossroads" in A and Madcat threw me a D MADCAT harp
and I'm NOT giving it back!!!,-) Thanx madcat for a most enjoyable evening.

    I've been a huge fan of Madcat's music for 30 yrs and he always raises
the bar each time he puts together a new project. His last record with Shari
Kane and Maxwell street is also a must have! here is a review I did of it in
the UK Mag Harmonica World last summer: ( I hope Roger Trobridge won't mind
me using it here as the article has already been out in a previous issue.)
Thanx Rob Paparozzi