Subject: [Harp-L] who's repairing chromatics these days?

Mick, the suggestion of Mike Easton is a good one..but honestly, you HAVE
to get onboard to knowing how to open up (and put back together) your own
chroms.

You just might be able to do so by tuning into Slidemeister (most of  us
chromatic players are members there (including Mike). Even the newest of
newbies isn't afraid to ask for step-by-step directions on how to do this....and
 many have gotten tons of information from so many expert chromatic players
 there. IF a comb is cracked makes all the difference in whether or not one
 should remove both cover plates (at the same time, for instance).

The reality is the curve in the mouthpiece IS built-in...and has to be
finessed.  The main secret (as I see it) is in not  over-tightening the
mouthpiece screws, but it does sound as though yours  might need a tiny bit of
straightening....carefully. The leak in your #12  hole also might have nothing
to do with the actual mouthpiece itself...or,  there'll be at least
half-a-dozen other suggestions given to you in detail  to explain what you might do
to solve it - plus tons of other information on the  topic. It's 95%
chromatic talk there..all the time. This is an ongoing subject,  although diatonics
are now allocated their own 'room'..

Slidemeister's not a list the way it used to be. It's now a website where
you can read  info on a particular topic ....even old ones, and still bring
them up-to-date with a current post.  I'm content to belong to both  lists
as a chromatic player, since there I can get the specific information I
need when necessary.

I doubt Hohner would look askance at your lucite comb - but it would
probably cost a bit more than a standard to work on. You 'might' be better off
with someone who's already done so, and specializes in customs.  Try  posting
first (the site is very big now) - or contacting Mike directly, but for
the next time - and your own peace of mind, you should know what's going on
'under the covers' of your chroms as easily as you do with your diatonics.

Frankly, this IS a bit of a 'rush' job...so you just might need  another
chromatic to fall back on. Depends on where you are....someone could  always
send you a loaner. I have a rarely used almost new F CX-12 I could get  out
to you...although it certainly doesn't come close to one that's been
Romelized.

For what its worth, and IMHO,

Regards,

Elizabeth