Re: [Harp-L] what makes a good player

To me a good player is one who leaves you wanting more, like Mickey Raphael. I love harmonica more than any sane person should, but I think a lot of the great players should spit that harp out and listen more, 20 seconds is enough to solo,too much rhythm work just adds to the ruckus. Been listening to some Mishka lately, nice simple music and some tasteful harp on a couple songs. Luke
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Reynolds" <c_reynolds2571@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:13 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] what makes a good player

So I was just sitting here wrapping up a custom golden melody for a customer and listening to music on harmonicaspace, and I got to wondering what makes a good player. Which I guess is a subjective question, since we all have different tastes, likes and dislikes. But what is it that makes us consider someone a good player? Is it because they can do all the licks and tricks, or do we also consider the player who plays melodies to well known songs, who plays with passion, clean notes, good intonation, etc. to be a good player. I've heard some folks here on the list who play melodies to well known songs, or play campfire songs, who I consider to be very good. They don't play with a lot of flash, but the quality of their playing is really good. So I'm kind of curious as to what others consider being a good player means.

Chris

http://www.blowyourbrassoff.com http://www.builderofstuff.com http://www.myspace.com/builderofstuff http://www.myspace.com/builderofbluesharps

Just a man, his shop, and a long list of unfinished projects...