[Harp-L] Re: Use of different-keyed harps

Hello, Elizabeth Hess.

I'm an amateur harmonica player and pro percussionist.

I also change 10-hole diatonics to find the easiest way to play in any
given key, I don't overblow, but bending isn't usually a problem for me, after
I  know where "do" is on the instrument.

Look for the scale's tonic ("do") note. Once you have an "anchor" of the
key, the rest follows relatively easily, if you are familiar with the  scale.

But, I prefer to do the change of harps using different keyed slide
chromatic harps, in whatever key needed. I usually play in the key stamped on  the
harmonica. That's "do," the same as on the diatonic harps.

For a complete major scale on a Richter system diatonic, start at hole 4
blow, going through hole 7 blow. For a complete major scale on a slide
chromatic  Solo system harmonica start at hole 1, or 5, or 9 blow, on a 12-hole
variety.

When using the chromatic instead of the diatonic, the "do" scale of the
harp is always in the same place, going from one keyed harp to another. The
scale spelling will change, but the new key's "do" is in the same place on
every  solo system chromatic, and no bending or overblowing techniques are
needed.

To simplify, I use the key of the music as the key of the harp, in  first
("do") position, both on diatonic and chromatics.

Since not all tunes are in major scales, memorize the 6 other relative
modes of "do," and memorize where they are on each harp. They are always in
the same positions on each keyed slide harp, relative to the harp's "do"
scale.

Other Harp-L members will give other answers, This works well for me.

John Broecker