Re: [Harp-L] Reading Music, Different Key Harps (was "Re: A couple questions from a beginner")

On Nov 19, 2009, at 11:08 AM, David Payne wrote:

I never tried to read music with diatonics, just chromatics.

Ah-HA!! Maybe I am not a doofus for finding this challenging! :-)

If I were going to try to do this... there's a couple ways I can think of one. One is Winslow's way. The other is:

Way 2: Change the music. Like when I was in band, there was all this F instruments, Bb instruments, etc. stuff, like if the music is written in E, X instrument will play it in Gb or whatever it is.
Thus, if you applied this to music, you'd take a piece of music, transpose it all into C and play it like you would on a C diatonic, only the output key would be different. Say you're music was in A. You transpose it to C and then play it on an A harmonica. You read the music in C, but the output is in A. If you have a finite number of numbers you want to do, that might be a good idea. If you're playing a new song every day, probably not.

This comes the closest to how I represent music my own head. I "think" of the music as if on a C harp, e.g. if I'm playing third, I'm thinking "d minor" even if I'm on a different harp and the output is in a different key. (Winslow has clarified off-list that this is also (part of) what he was describing. Hi, Winslow!)

This has worked for me so far, but mostly because I learn melodies by ear, plant them on my C harp while I practice them (usually 2nd position for major, 2nd or 3rd for minor), and then switch harps as needed for the circumstances.

I own a C chromatic (12-hole), goofed around with it a fair bit about a decade ago, but have been focusing pretty exclusively on diatonics on this latest attempt to learn to play harp. Much of this is due to context: Right now my circumstances are such that I travel way too much to try to join a band, so my best chance to play is in open jams. I-IV-V and diatonics are great for that. I'd like to do more; figuring out where to focus my efforts while I figure out what "more" is and means is my current challenge.

It hadn't crossed my mind to buy chromatic harps in different keys. Whoa.

Elizabeth