Re: [Harp-L] New Gary Primich Videos

Rusty;
Thank you so much for this link!

I've been vaguely observing the conversation going on the Harp-l about "I just have fun with it."

Some folks can really break it down and use the left brain for doing what is more a Right brain activity.
I find it best to separate the two activites.
Yes, one should learn all there is to know about music theory but sometimes you just got to blow!

By the time I get the gig lined up...make 15 phone calls to get a backup drummer, design a flyer, put up the advertising, repair and load the PA, get a set list, (if we ever use it...I will be surprised) etc. etc.....The last thing I want to think about taking my harp apart and tweak it so that i can find some magical new note.
Some people have more time or inclination to really break it all down for the rest of us...

But midway through my gig last night, as I looked out at the crowd of 10 (bummer) my mind went wandering to all the magical people on the Harp-l exploring the a new way to waggle the tongue at 3:AM..I felt like I was playing the same old worn out licks that every harp player learns along the way.

I thought about finding that note I have never mastered and wished I had put in that extra hour practice sometime during the week.
Granted, that hour would most likely be spent learning more Big Walter licks...(like the ones Gary uses in this video) but just as likely I would go to one of these great links on Harp-l and get another trick in my " bag of tricks' as Norton once put it.

I did work on some third position during the night to the amazement of my band members (Carlos Santana songs are good for this) but had not worked on this 3rd position as I drove around during the week and was not fluid on this night ...but I tried. you have to work at the left brain activities long before the gig...when ya get there you just have to play...not analyze....only positive thoughts...That is why I try to set up early..and be ready.

But if I would have heard this link before the gig instead of stressing about all the left brain gig set up hassles I would have been ready for my blues tunes.
Man Gary could really play.

I love Harp-L and I do love learning from others what it might take me a lifetime of playing to learn...Big Walter, Gary Primich,... Yeah, I am listening.
how do I fix that out of tune low-f so I can get back to playing my Barry-sax funk horn lines without thinking about it... link...yeah I'm listening...

Thanks you guys for breaking it down and sharing with the rest of us playing in the trenches.

Grant