[Harp-L] New line of Suzuki chromatics debuts tomorrow

Although no public announcement has been made in the US, as of tomorrow
Suzuki is introducing the new Sirius line of Âchromatic harmonicas:

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/special/sirius/index.htm

The new 12, 14, and 16-hole chromatics looks a lot like the
Fabulous and also like the 12-hole GrÃgoire Maret model.

As you can see here:

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/special/sirius/feature.htm

These models, like the G-48, have plastic combs with metal
weights fastened into the voids around the slots. Sound spectrum diagrams and
illustrations appear to make a benefit statement for the weights.

Further down the
page, some claims are being made about what appears to be sound energy from the
reeds, an we can see that the 12 and 14-hole models, unlike the G-48, are
straight tuned (note the âSâ at the end of the model number), while the 16-hole
model is cross-tuned (again, note the âCâ in the model number).

Suggested retail pricing in Japan (Minimum advertised pricing
appears to follow it in smaller type) appears very reasonable when the figures
are poured into an online currency converter:

S-48S 37,800 yen = approx. Â$425 US

S-56S 40,950 Yen = approx. $460 US

S-64C 44,100 Yen = approx $495 US

Whether pricing will be similar elsewhere remains to be
seen.

If you speak Japanese (or even if you donât) you can see and
hear Koei Tanaka playing and talking about these three models here:

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/special/sirius/s-48s.html

Iâm VERY impressed with the G-48, and was hoping for a
16-hole version. I reviewed the G-48 favorably in the October 2009 issue of
harmonicasessions.com, complete with several photos of the disassembled harp:

http://harmonicasessions.com/oct09/Yerxa.html

Will these new models deliver the same level of quality in a
wider variety of models at a lower price? Will they replace the Chromatix
series in the Suzuki lineup? I await English-language announcements from Suzuki
USA
and Suzuki Europe.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa