[Harp-L] What Harp-l does best

Recently I was performing a concert with guitarist that had studied with Segova when the guitarist was a kid. In order to fund his concert series, we did a school outreach concert where he asked the kids "How many of you play Guitar Hero?" and a hundred raised their hands and "How many actually play the guitar?" and two raised their hands. I don't want to have the playing of the harmonica go down the Guitar Hero road.

I have followed the reaction to my sarcastic post and it had the "stirring things up" effect I had hoped. My wife teaches flute and it would never be stated on a flute list or in a publication that a "newbie" should not learn their scales or study with a teacher. And I happen to think, but don't tell my wife, that the harmonica is a more expressive instrument than the flute.

But that said, and this is for you "newbies" out there, I steal licks and I mean STEAL. From Sonnyboy 1 and 2, James Cotton, Paparozzi, Toots, John Sebastian Jr. and Sr., Miles, Lee Konitz, Stevie - I took his whole Alfie for my Time Life recording, Madcat, etc. If I hadn't been so under the influence I would have taken Michael Rubin's way of approaching a solo (at the SPAH) which is not in your face, but coming at you sideways kind of like Lee Konitz, but please don't tell him I steal.

What harp-l does best IMO is let you go out and steal those licks, have fun, and when you come up against something you can't do - there is the harp-l list and someone like Winslow or Richard Hunter or Madcat or Paparozzi or Howard or Hendrik or Musselwhite will tell you what they did or what gear they use or where to find a teacher or a seminar.

One must remember that a lot of us have taught 100's of students and might know the best, fastest, and most fun to get from point A to point B - which roads to take and which lead nowhere -because we took already those roads.

So steal the licks, have fun, but maybe sit at the piano and play a G 7th chord and take out your C harp and play your lick over the chord and learn the notes in the chord and how your lick sounds over those notes.

Your favorite players, who "know nothing" will tell you I played piano as a kid, or I play a little guitar, or I can read music, etc And all will say I wish I had more knowledge of music, not less.

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com