[Harp-L] What Harp-l does best

Robert, right on!  Hacks borrow, artists steal!  or somethin' like that.  And Harp-L gives, and gives and gives, what a huge resource that all of us have learned tons from.

Now, we all learn differently, which you've doubtless learned with your many students.  I've taught a bunch of years (not music!)  and the best teaching advice I ever got was, "You don't teach a subject, you teach a student."   Each student's different, you gotta figure how to help make the connection.

And as a student, you get your lessons where you find 'em.  I too was taken by Michael Rubin's out-of-left-field approach to jamming at SPAH, he'd just do something spontaneous -even spastic! - then work it musically, and beautifully, often humorously, a great lesson!

Recently I sat in at a class taught by David Broida (with Rubin and me a Sonoma state alum) who visits 80 colleges each year, teaching beginning blues harmonica (and harp for health, etc.)   In one class he got 14 complete newbies playing together, tongue-blocking chords and single notes - roughly but, in one 90-minute class!

So, anything's possible, who knows, even I could one day learn to read music!  Meanwhile I spend my time doing what I must so I can do what I want, including jamming and creating/catalyzing blues jams, and gigging once or twice a month.

Now, I ain't much on harp, but I have fun and get to play regularly with really talented musicians.  For me, that's alot. Thanks again, harp-L'rs!

-Dave "Grasshopper" Fertig