[Harp-L] re: musicianship...if it's not fun

It's only boring if you think it's boring.

I talked about aptitude earlier. One of the most important talents musicians
have is the ability to get engrossed  in repetitive tasks. I wasted 2 years
of piano lessons because I could not sit and practice sheet music (most of
my piano practice was playing Smoke Stack Lightning over and over). I was
unable to concentrate and become engrossed by it. I did, during those 2
years, play Sonny Terry riffs constantly so I became a competent but limited
player of harmonica riffs.

Now, although I am significantly better at focusing and concentrating , I
still can't get engrossed in sheet music.. All I can play riffs. So when I
listen to a jazz trio playing Debussy , or a thirteen piece band playing
"Girl From Ipanema" had I been able to put the discipline in, I could be
jamming with that music. As it is, it takes weeks of work just to play Chuck
Berry.
So yes, I have fun playing harmonica, but if I had the ability to focus and
concentrate, I would have way more fun.

I have the sheet music. I am, in the next year, going to learn to play
Pipeline, by the Ventures on the chromatic. It will be slow and painful.
--

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1372404/dhoozh_chapter_1.html