[Harp-L] Re: Altered diatonic tunings

On Nov 28, 2009, at 12:29 AM, Clayton Gary Lehmann wrote:

Hey Joe—

Just read Dave Payne's tribute to your harmonica tuning—so you’re blushing, right?

Very much so.

Wanted to share with you a similar tuning I am starting to use, if for no other reason than to drop you a line--Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm going to print this. I see possibilities. I'm not usually one to go for altered tunings inasmuch as I have trouble dual-functioning.

This tuning is derived from a major cross, so it has the raised 5 and 9 draw.
But it also has a Bb on blow 7, like the bebop tuning I use on chrom.
Similarly, all blow notes are lower than draw notes, and so can be draw bent.
I put a valve on the 7 blow slot so I can draw bend the B, and one on the 5 draw so I can get the Eb without an overblow (but still can get the Eb on hole 4 with the OB).

I have always used a valve on the 5 draw so that I can bend the blow note down. I know others use a lot more valves....but....they know what they're doing. I find that adding too many valves doesn't work for me. It's almost like an XB-40 and I have a tendency to OVERdo the bends. I like to be able to pick my bends.

Jose el sicko (who was too sick to even eat turkey)