[Harp-L] Newton Four key tuning - VERY COOL!

Hi Folks,

I haven't popped onto this list for a month or two and I'm wondering if
there has been any discussion here (that I would have missed) on the Newton
Four Key tuning.  This is IMHO (and many others) a really exciting tuning
full of possibilities.  I've ordered one from Seydel (via the configurator)
and I'm planning on getting a chromatic tuned to Newton Four Key (also Via
Seydel configurator).  The Chromatic version of the Newton Four Key is
termed a J-Chro.

Here's the story on this tuning in 2 parts from Mel Bay's Harmonica Sessions
Pages:

http://www.harmonicasessions.com/aug07/Newton.html

http://www.harmonicasessions.com/oct07/Newton.html

Here's the actual tuning layout from the Overblow.com "Scale Finder Page"

http://www.overblow.com/?menuid=26#211

And here is a YouTube Video of a fellow from New York who demonstrates just
a little of what's possible with this tuning, namely Charlie Parker's "Yard
Bird Suit"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Thib725Ig

This tuning allows the player a chance to go at complex melodic runs such as
in Bebop without so many changes in breath direction so that a true legato
can be achieved -  and without overflows.  I know many players admire the
technical skill involved in executing overflows and are still psyched about
learning and incorporating this technique, myself included.  The Four Key
tuning is just another tool for increasing the range of expression with a
different emphasis - decreasing the frequency of breath switching in one's
phrasing so that smooth, legato melodic runs can be achieved in certain
kinds of melodic structures. Also it offers possibilities to players who may
not want to spend a lot of time on developing the overblown embouchure.

I've been following a fairly long discussion on this tuning over at
Slidemister (it's been going on for about a month or so).  While Slidemister
is pretty much exclusively a forum for chromatic players, the Four Key is a
tuning originated on the diatonic.  You can currently get this tuning from
Seydel (if you don't want to do it yourself) on the "Favorite" model.  Since
the note layout effectively shrinks the octave range of a ten-hole diatonic
it would be really great if one could get this tuning on a twelve-hole
diatonic such as the "Soloist Pro 12".  Seydel currently doesn't offer
configuration on the twelve-hole harps for Four Key because of slot size
issues.  I'm hopping that once enough players get a load of the potential of
this tuning Seydel - or somebody else - might offer a 12 hole model in Four
Key.

Maybe this is premature but I believe this tuning has as much potential for
the world of diatonic harp as does the ever increasing popularity of
overflows for increasing the chromatic range of the diatonic and expanding
what we can all do musically.

Anyway, I thought I'd shine a light on this with the above links in the
hopes of 'hipping y'all to it!

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh