Re: [Harp-L] Playing While Driving

Same here. Much of my practice time is while commuting to work. Guarantees me two sessions a day. Couple of observations I have had doing this.
- When traffic gets thick or fast, bad weather or anything other than routine, I stop playing. You don't want to get jaded doing this and short hit the driving part. Priority is driving first, playing second.
- One hand only, I do cupping only if I am sitting at a light not moving. I think this is one reason why my cupping techniques and hand wah, etc. has lagged behind development of other skills.
- I don't think this is necessarily the best practice exercise because you have to split your focus. It would be better to sit down and only focus on playing. I think I would develop faster that way. However, that being said, I get more practice overall this way which is way better than none at all.
- I have lately started to practice amplified playing while commuting. I have a bullet mic with a Pignose Hog 20 battery powered amp. HOLD IT! I know what you are going to say! ;-) I don't practice this while driving as it seems pretty pointless to practice amplified with one hand. Instead, I have started leaving home 30 min. earlier, pull over on a secluded spot part way to work and practice amplified technique for a half hour before putting it away. This has been great for me as I spare my family the disruption that playing amplified at home every day would cause and my amplified technique and tone have improved a lot.
My vehicle is a lifted van that is at the same level, window-wise, as the city buses. In the summer, I have had bus drivers give me compliments or ribbing (or both) if the window is down and we are sitting side by side at a light. Maybe one day I will pull up next to a bass player.
cheers
Jon

Richard Eisenberg wrote:
Does anyone else practice in the car while driving/commuting?

I live in a fairly rural area and drive 25 minutes to work. I play songs on
the car stereo via mp3 player and play along to practice.
(I don't do this in heavy traffic, blizzards, or where I'm not familiar with
the roads.)

I've only ever seen one other person playing harp while driving.

Anyone else?