[Harp-L] Playing and driving - the solution

Hi All

Playing and driving has to be a bad idea. Too dangerous. I wouldn't recommend it. On the other hand, if you had a big wide road, no traffic, and you are cruising using only one hand - where is the harm in playing a little bit of harp with the other hand?

I keep a C harp in the car and try to play everything I hear on the radio and cds on that harp. Sometimes I sound better than other times but it's a massive workout if you stick at it.

Playing is traffic jams is good but I get embarrassed by people staring and gesticulating!

So here, dear ladies and gentlemen, is the solution: put the harp in the left side of your mouth with the holes to the right. Use your tongue to block the notes you don't want. You've seen SBW and Joe Filisko doing this and it's great practice. I'm even able to bend notes a bit now and a bit of vamping is also possible. Another good workout.

Now put both hands back on the wheel and away you go.

If you can't imagine this and would like to see me attempting it - check here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulLennonUK?gl=GB&hl=en-GB#p/u/9/nTk0VqyxbEw

If you use an instrument with holes in the coverplates - like a MB or MBDL - a great tip is to remove the coverplates and put some tape inside to seal the gaps top and bottom on the left hand end. It makes the job much easier.

Don't swallow it!

Ben
Ben Hewlett
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx