To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 03, 2009 6:00 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] HG50 VERSES SONNY JUNIOR CRUNCHER

Garry wrote:
J D Hoskins wrote:
Wouldn't one want to compare a HG 50 to a 4-10 Sonny jr and a cruncher
to a HG35?  50 watt to 50 watt and 35 watt to 35 watt?

that's a great idea. somebody send me those 4 amps, and i'll let you know which i like best.

Indeed.

I doubt that anyone who buys any one of those amps is going to end up crying about it. If I was gearing up now with amps, I'd certainly have all those models on the short list.

The problem for the prospective buyer is:
1) Unless you live near the manufacturer's offices, it's not easy to get your hands on one of those amps to try it out.
2) These amps are pricey compared to ordinary guitar amps. A 15 Watt Fender Super Champ XD with a 10" speaker sells for less than $400. A Harpgear HG2 has an 8" speaker and 5-7 Watts, and it sells for almost twice that. A Harpgear Double Trouble is well over twice the cost of the Fender.

Now, I think anyone who buys a Harpgear or a Sonny Junior is getting great value for money. It's worth the extra money to get an amp that sounds great, not just okay or good enough, right out of the box, especially when the thing is very well made to boot. However, if you put the difficulty of trying the amp out together with the price, you get higher risk for the buyer. No wonder people want to know which one is best before they throw down the money. Asking about it is the only practical way to find out for most people.

It would be nice if the manufacturers made an effort to find customers of theirs who are willing to demo the amps. I imagine something could be worked out that would make it possible for manufacturers of amps purposed for harp to give people a listen before they buy.

author, "Jazz Harp" latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter Vids at http://www.youtube.com/user/lightninrick _______________________________________________ Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx http://harp-l.org/mailman/listinfo/harp-l