Re: [Harp-L] Sonny Terry News

Dear Ben,

Thanks for your info, I'll definitely buy this issue and probably some
more. I think I read that I could get a download version, though I have
to double check.

I have a question, is it mentioned in the book where or in which
particular song this or that specific riff/lick could be found - sort of
the guidance info. I think it would be great to have that info in order
to come closer to imitating Sonny's performances - one just could listen
to a particular song and try repeating what is there 1:1 (of course, for
the sake of acquiring skills and developing own style).

Thanks,

Alex

BTW, I must compliment you for the great video clip and especially for
its sound quality - it's seldom these days to hear presentations like
that recorded well - sounds great!

>>> Ben Hewlett <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 25/09/2009 18:58 >>>
Hi All,
Weâve finally finished our book of Sonny Terry Riffs. There is a
video
on youtube.com/paullennonuk to give you an idea of how it looks, and
you can download it from harmonicaworld.net if it appeals. We havenât

got the book back from the printers yet â should be three to four
weeks, Iâll give you the heads up when it emerges.
I am very pleased with this CD/book, maybe our best yet, but perhaps
Iâm biased!
Hereâs what the proâs say:
Joe Filisko
âSonny Terry was without question, one of the most well known of all

blues harmonica players. Sonny's stinging and popping sound, acrobatic

use of hands, rhythmic groove and pyrotechnic display of whooping,
made him in my opinion, the most unforgettable of ALL harmonica
players!
Knowing the effect it had on a live audience leaves little doubt as to

why he was in demand his whole life and why almost everyone will
remember his name before Brownie's.
If understanding and experiencing some of this magic is of interest to

you, then there is great news! Ben has taken numerous essential Sonny

Terry licks and broken them down at three different speeds for you to

access and learn as simply and painlessly as possible.
If you follow him, Ben will put you on the fast track to the summit of

the musical mountain of Sonny Terry. This is indeed a journey that all

harmonica players should experience.â
Joe Filisko September 2009
www.filisko.com
Pat Missin
âA selection of riffs from the repertoire of one of the most
influential harp players ever, brought to you in standard notation,
tablature and audio examples by Britain's top harmonica teacher.
  A must have for anyone studying the playing styles of Sonny Terry,
as well as a very welcome addition to any harp player's library.â Pat

Missin September 2009 patmissin.com

Paul Lamb
âYes great stuff! Ben has dug deep into Terry's sound. I myself, am a

huge Sonny Terry fan and played with the guy. Sonny had a style that
was truly his own, Ben has done something here that Sonny would be
proud of.â Paul Lamb September 2009 www.paullamb.com

Tom Ball
"A fine addition to the great Sonny Terry's oeuvre." -Tom Ball
September 2009 www.tomballkennysultan.com

Ben Hewlett
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.benhewlett.com