To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 9:31 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Which harp mic is most feedback resistant?

Ralf,

I beg to differ with you. I have a 545 wired for hi-z and a 545 wired lo-z I use with an external transformer. The one with the internal transformer produces a higher gain signal, and from talking to others who know more about this than I do, this is not something that is peculiar to the 545s I happen to own. Estimates vary as to whether the internal transformer produces 15 or 20% more gain than an external transformer, but, in my experience, a dual impedance mic wired for hi-z is definitely hotter than the same mic wired lo-z and played through an external transformer, even though the mic element is the same.

Best regards,

JP