[Harp-L] Which harp mic is most feedback resistant?

-Rick Davis Said:

"So, I have taken the advice of so many who responded to my question about
 harp mic feedback and I have ordered a new Audix Fireball V.  It will arrive
 soon, and I'll subject it to as much feedback abuse as I can before forming
 an opinion.  But the opinions of others have certainly caused me to check it
 out. "
I have a ceramic element brown biscuit that sounds great with a small amp that is mic'ed to the PA, but the biscuit easily feeds back with a loud amp.  My CM green bullet is good up to a certain volume on several amps, then feeds back.  My EV630 sounds good up to a higher volume with certain amps, but then, feedback.  My dynamic Shaker feeds back earlier than any, by volume (not the amp setting,, the actual volume).

I hate fighting feedback. A Shure 57 with a Blows Me Away volume control and a transformer is more feedback resistant, but a bit long and unwieldy.  With a transformer it sounds great with a Peavey Classic 30, a difficult amp to get good harp tone from.
Greg's Ulitimate 57 would be better as it wouldn't be so long.

I have found that each amp and mic combination has a different sound and feedback threshold.  I wait until no one is in the house and do a mic match up.  Some combinations are special, getting the most from the gear.

However, my most useful "go to" mic is my Fireball V.  Greg. I DO get a different sound with a tight cup, even playing straight to the PA (I turn down volume, then cup and blow).  I have never had the Fireball sound bad going to an amp through a transformer, though some mic/amp combinations sound a little better.  It is my favorite mic with my '61 Gibson Explorer (with a 12" Weber, 2-6V6s).  I get amazing volume and tone out of 14 watts. The amp creates the tone.  I also like it straight to a low Z input on my Stromberg-Carlson 2-6L6 PA head to a 2x10: cab.  I have used it with amp modelers, and again it resists feedback.

Sunday night I used the Fireball V to sit in at a jam in St. Louis and played through a Meteor and it sounded pretty good after I added a little meat.  If I had more time to adjust, I think it could have sounded great.

I would recommend the Fireball V for use when you don't know what amp you will be using.  I like it   to get volume without risking  feedback that makes you struggle to be heard.

But I will probably buy one of Greg's Ultimate 545's one of these days...
Gear Acquisition Syndrome...
Doug S.