[Harp-L] RE: Digitech

"Bill Kumpe" wrote:
<Everybody is talking about the higher end Digitechs.  Does anybody else use
<the little RP-50 or RP-55 besides me?  You can program in all sorts of
<reverb, delay, chorus, compression, EQ, etc. for $50.00 and still carry it
<around in your harp case.  Cheaper than a single pedal.  Last week, I had my
<rig (Hohner Clone JT-30, Digitech RP-50) connected to a vintage Lectrolab
<tube amp.  Right beside it was my pro harp player friend's big bucks
<HarpGear amp and huge pedal board.   Did his rig sound better? Yeah.  But
<how much better?  Several players passed the mics around that evening
<playing through both rigs as their turns came up.  The fifty buck stomp box
<and rebuilt vintage amp held its own quite nicely alongside the pro rig.

There's no doubt that the little Digis sound good.  You just get more with the higher-end models like the 250/255 and 350/355--more effects, and most importantly, more control over the sound.

I gather that you're using the RP50 primarily for FX, not amp modeling?  If you're planning to use amp modeling, I'd definitely go with the higher-end RPs.  The Digitech amp and cab models that I like the most for harp--such as the 57 Champ, surely a very important amp for harp--aren't even included in the 50/55.

In any case, the bottom line is always: does the thing make a sound that inspires you?  If it does, it's great gear, and who cares if it's not high-end?

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter