Re: [Harp-L] How to tell a guitar player how to swing?

Vern Smith contributes:
Here is one more: Refer him to....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swung_note

Swing is explained in words, in musical notation, and in a couple of sound clip examples that he can listen to.

What is written as a pair of eighth notes is swung as approximately a dotted eighth followed by a sixteenth. He can start out practicing this strictly and then loosen up as he gets the "feel" of it. Have him listen and strum along to a recording of "In the Groove." where the melody follows this rhythmic pattern exactly.

Vern
Gee, thanks for that excellent reference and advice, Vern. I searched Wikipedia but used the wrong phrase. We can always count on you!

Michelle