Re: [Harp-L] Recording

I am interested in doing some self recording and I thought I might ask the
list. What program do people like for recording themselves, any suggestions
on how to associate backing tracks, what is the best source  for backing
tracks that are usable right away. Thanks for your help gentleman and ladies

You have a very specific question, which others have answered very usefully. Here's a further thought, once you have some of that software up and running.

Lots of the tools that are out there give you incredible capabilities for shaping and blending the sounds you record. Until fifteen or so years ago those tools were mainly based in hardware, and you learned how to use them either by apprenticeship or a great deal of trial and error.

Nowadays those sound-shaping tools (such as eq, compression, side-chaining, etc.) are available to everybody via software, and yet most of us won't be apprenticing at a studio any time soon.

Therefore, I highly recommend the book SoundFX by Alexander U. Case, from Focal Press. Easily available at Amazon. This book explains every standard sound shaping tool in the studio, and in the software multi-tracker. I've recommended it here before, but there are a bunch of new names in the community since then, so it's worth re-recommending it. The chapter on compression alone is worth the price of admission, but anyone who really wants to learn how to present their music in a professional manner should read this book. -K