[Harp-L] Windsavers

35mm photographic film is, IMO, unsuitable for use as
windsavers.
Reasons:
- Too thick (0.006") and stiff.
- Too hard and noisy.
- Too smooth making it liable to sticking and popping when
wet.

When I have a troublesome factory valve, I replace it with
one of Ultrasuede, a synthetic leather made for use as
clothing. Ultrasuede comes in two thicknesses (about .030"
thick) called "Soft"
and "Light" (about .020" thick)

P T Gazell uses the "Soft" grade to half-valve his
diatonics.

I use the "Light" grade. It is very soft and free of noise.
It is porous and resists the formation of a surface-tension
seal of condensate that makes other valves stick and pop.

As it comes, it has two problems.
It is too limber to support itself on the under side of
reedplates.  I correct this by compressing about half of its
length with heat and pressure.  This makes the part near the
rivet stiffer and able to support the remaining fluffy part
near the tip.

It also soaks up moisture.  To correct this, I treat it with
a moisture repellant.  I use  "303 Fabric Guard" but
:Scotchguard" would probably work.

Whenever I replace a valve, I apply a thin, polished coat of
Johnson's Paste Floor wax to the reedplate where the valve
touches.

The compressed, waterproofed, Ultrasuede valves against a
waxed reedplate are what I currently use for replacements.
They have been trouble-free in my chromatic harmonicas.
That is my only claim.

If you send me a self-addressed stamped envelope, I'll send
you some sample Ultrasued valves to try. Email me off list
for my snailmail address.

Vern

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roscoe Catania" <rjcataniajr@xxxxxxxxx>