[Harp-L] Crate Amp /

"
Hello

Does anyone know how to make a crate v5 amp sound down and dirty"

I have one and the best thing I did was replace the OEM speaker with a Weber signature series alinco 10" speaker.

The original pre-amp tube is a 12AX7.  I replaced that with a 12AY7.  This helped a bit but lost a lot of volume.  I have purchased a 12AT7 to try but have not installed it yet.  The 12AT7 should be between the AX and AY as far as preamp gain.  I also replaced the OEM Sovtek EL84 tube with a JJ Tesla EL84.  I don't really think this helped a bunch but maybe a little.

Overall, it turned out to be a pretty nice 5 watt amp for very  little money...it's just not real loud.  This is the older version of the amp that has volume and tone knobs.

Hope that helps,
Dan