Re: [Harp-L] tuning

jim.alciere@xxxxxxxxx asks:
If the band tunes to a tuner, am I more apt to be in tune with the band
using just or equal tuning
Jimmy, I hasten to avoid presuming to add to Winslow's considerable wisdom on tuning or any other subject but I have been studying, with Richard Sleigh's ample help, this very subject. In fact, Richard has recently published an article on Just Intonation on Tony Eyer's cool web site, Harmonic Tunes:

http://www.harmonicatunes.com/justintonationtuningforharmonicas

You may find it, as I did, very informative. Richard's recent book, "Turbocharge your Harmonica" has a terrific treatise on tuning, and is worth its modest price for that alone (it contains a wealth of information on how to adjust your reeds as well).

My take, and Richard please jump in here if I've got this wrong, is that Just Intonation (JI) tunes certain notes sharp and others flat relative to pure Equal Temperament (ET). JI harps are tuned that way to make the chords sound better than if played with ET tuning (ET tuning is the tuning that is used for pianos and with most guitar tuners). So IMHO some of the answer to your question lies in what style of playing you prefer.

JI is the tuning used in the Marine Band harps of old that the famous Chicago players used (more recent MB's are tuned to a "Compromise Tuning" that is a sort of "average" between ET and JI tuning schemes). Most of those Chicago guys used tongue block embouchures and relied heavily on the chordal nature of Hohner MB harmonicas as they were originally designed to be played back in 1896. Chords sound better when they are played on a JI-tuned harmonica. By comparison, chords played on an ET-tuned harp sound a bit dissonant and harsh.

Now, if my recollection is correct, you like to use Lee Oskar harps, which are tuned to ET out of the box. From that I would then assume that your embouchure of choice is lip-pursing or pucker. A lip-purser generally plays single notes and doesn't play a lot of chords (chords played on Lee Oskars, or any other ET tuned harp, sound ~very~ dissonant to my ear).

Here is where I am about to go out on a limb as this is where, with all due respect, I think Winlsow's advice fell a tad short of the mark (a very rare occurrence indeed from the man who literally "wrote the book"). I'll defer to Winslow's learned ear but I'll posit that in a band setting, the average listener's ear would not be able to tell the difference plus or minus a cent or two between harps tuned to ET if they were played using the pucker embouchure. My feeling is, on the other hand, that those same listeners could easily discern the dissonant nature of chords played on those same ET-tuned harps compared to chords played on a JI- or Compromise-tuned harmonica. Therefore, if you predominantly play single notes, my opinion is that ET would be your tuning of choice. To give a point of reference here, according to Rick Epping, modern Marine Bands have certain notes tuned as many as 12-cents flat from ET, an amount that even an untrained ear might well be able to hear.

My harp kit has harmonicas tuned three different ways for this very reason. I love Suzuki Promaster harps for their playability and the way they "cut" in an acoustic setting. But chords played on them sound way off-base and almost painful to my ear as they are tuned to pure ET. I use them when I play pucker embouchure, predominantly in a bluegrass setting; I ~never~ play them tongue-blocked (there are other issues with that due to their aluminum combs). On the other end I enjoy my Hering 1923 Vintage harps for tongue-blocked playing. Chords played on them sound very sweet, as they are tuned to 7-limit JI, just like the Marine Bands of old. But I don't dare play them alongside acoustic fiddle, mandolin and guitar pickers because certain notes are very flat and those notes stick out like a sore thumb against those other instruments (that are tuned to ET with their respective tuners). In the middle are my trusty Special 20's, which are tuned to a Compromise Tuning and sound pretty darned good no matter what setting they are played in, single notes or chords (I still prefer those Suzukis for pure pucker playing in an acoustic setting -- I also have them half-valved ala PT Gazell and Brendan Power, which adds a whole other dimension to them).

Of course, I'll be very interested in Winslow's take on this post, and I hope Richard chimes in if I missed something. Any other comments are welcome, too. :-)

Thanks,

Michelle (the harmonica grasshopper)