[Harp-L] Marine Band reed plates

I've bought at least many hundreds  of diatonic harps, almost only Hohner diatonics, since 1970.   I play sp20s, which of course use recessed MB reed-plates, closed-end shields  and plastic  combs.  I prefer sp20s for the tone, feel, tuning and set-up.

But I've bought and/or tried virtually every other stock and modified/customized diatonic harp  that comes down the pike, most of them really, really good harps.  (Most recently the Bends Croma otb, it sound great for me!  But it is still smaller and "railed" i.e. with the protruding reed-plates like the MB, not my preference in terms of feel.  I'm still working with it, though.)

So far, I still prefer the sound and feel of otb sp20s,  And I agree with Steve Baker, the reed setup, material qualities and tuning reliability on MB reedplates are  better today than since at least the 80's.

My feelings about Hohner as a company are more complicated.

-Dave  Fertig