[Harp-L] Protruding Reed Plates

I've found it fairly easy to reduce the amount of protrusion and also
round off any sharp edges on reed plates using a two sided sharpening
stone intended for knives. Got it at a dollar store for $1. One side
is courser and the other finer. It's about 8" long and 2" wide.

I put the stone on a counter top with a wet paper towel underneath it
to prevent slippage. I hold the reed plate with both hands and use the
courser side holding the plate perpendicular to the stone. Then I
carefully slide the reed plate side to side (slide left, then right)
along the stone. I check against the comb frequently to make sure I
don't go to far. When it's been shaved back enough I'll hold it at 45
degrees to bevel the non-combside edge for comfort. I also make sure I
haven't created any unintentional sharp edges. Then will do a bit more
smoothing with the fine side.

I've successfully done this on several Golden Melodies. The nice thing
about the stone is it is really flat so it's easy to get a nice even
edge on the reed plate.