Re: [Harp-L] Hohner Industrial Lemons? - some easy fixes you can do yourself

While I agree that harps should be assembled correctl yin the factory, there are two simple things you can do in your own defense that will likely have an immediate payoff.

You're experiencing air leaks, either between the reedplates and the comb, or around the reeds themselves.

1) take a screwdriver and copletely disassemble the harp. The reassemble it. make sure to tighten the screws firmly. When fastening the reedplate screws, make sure the plates are seated flat on the surface of the comb. Then start in the middle of the plate and work your way out toward the ends, tightening each screw. The screw may resist slightly because it hadn't finished the job of cutting its threads in the lower reedplate. Don't overtinghten; just make sure the screws are firmly tightened.

That by itself may give you a major improvement in ease of playing.

2) Lower the reed gaps. Compare a harp that seems like it takes all your wind with oen that plays well. Note the gap between the tip of the reed and the reedplate. If the leaky harp seems to have higher gaps, you can lower them to be more in line with the non-leaky harp. Press the reed through its slot, and tug on it *VERY *LIGHTLY - just enough to lower the gap a little.

Chances are the Fix no. 1 will get you where you need to be. If not, or if you want even more airtightness, you can try No. 2, though be aware that this has the potential to change the response, bending characteristics, and even the tuning of the harp.

Hope this helps.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa