[Harp-L] Rob Paporozzi's CD Reviewed on BluesWax

Rob Paparozzi's great new CD, Etruscan Soul, gets a terrific review on BluesWax online magazine. I've pasted it below.

Congratulations, Rob!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

Etruscan
Soul, (09/02/09)

Rob
Paparozzi is a harmonica player and New Jersey-based session musician who has
played with everyone from Bruce Springsteen to George Jones. Besides releasing
two albums fronting his own band The Hudson River Ras with legendary drummer
Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Paparozzi has toured with The Original Blues
Brothers Band and also as the lead vocalist in the newly reformed Blood Sweat
and Tears. This is Paparozzi's first CD under his own name.The CD's title
refers to the area of Northern Italy where Paparozzi's ancestors came from. The
music is Rob's heritage.
Although
Paparozzi's influences include Little Walter and Paul Butterfield, this is more
a rhythm and blues recording. Opening with The Beatles' "Ticket To
Ride," Paparozzi's harp sails. The band consists of Paparozzi, harp and
vocal, George Naha on guitar; pianist John Korba, Ed Alstrom on organ; and
Hudson River Rats Bailey Gee on bass and drummer Purdie. Guest artists include
Hugh McCracken, guitars, and Will Lee, bass. Horns are added on Allen
Tousaint's "I'm Gone." This is so good that I'd love to see Paparozzi
make a New Orleans-styled album, perhaps a Toussaint tribute. On Quincy Jones'
"In The Heat of The Night," Paparozzi's voice is emotionally strong.
On Elton John's "Border Song (Holy Moses)" Paparozzi's harp is
evocative. Background vocalists on these three songs include Vanesse Thomas
(Rufus' daughter) and Antonique Smith.

Pararozzi's
arrangements are wonderful especially when he combines the classic "Peg O'
My Heart" with Steely Dan's "Peg." Paparozzi's playing sometimes
sounds like Toot Thieleman's especially on his jazzy instrumental version of
"Body and Soul." Delbert McClinton's "Monkey Around" is a
vocal duet with Phoebe Snow. Cream's "Strange Brew" features Leo
Nocentelli on guitar. Steven Still's "Love The One Your With"
features John Korba's understated piano. Other songs include Keb Mo's
"Keep It Simple," Sonny Thompson's "Let Them Talk," Sting's
"She's Too Good For Me," and a beautiful vocal on Randy Newman's
"I Think It's Going To Rain Today." He closes out the album with his
version of Arthur Adams' "Love and Peace" while Chuck Rainey sits in
on bass.

Paparozzi
is delightful as there are enough highlights and surprises to satisfy anyone's
taste. This is highly recommended.
 Richard Ludmerer is a contributing editor at BluesWax.
You may contact
Richard at blueswax@xxxxxxxxxxx