From: Bill Otten <harpman54@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, Sep 4, 2009 1:24 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] RE: talking techniques again

Larry the icemanle@xxxxxxx asked:
>At one of the Augusta Heritage classes, I asked the students, who
considered themselves int/adv intermediate the play 3 hole inhale first
bend.

>Out of the class of 25, only about two of them could achieve it and hold it
for a few seconds.

>The realization came to me that most students really didn't prehear this
note in their inner ear before attempting to create it.

>So, I'm interested in how many of you process this one note on the
diatonic. (Everyone should have some reference point that they use - you'd
be surprised at how many, when they are >totally honest with themselves,
really don't have a clue, but go for it in a general sense).

No problem, I can do it. I'd call this 'essential' technique. That 3 hole
inhale first bend (as well as the second and third bends) HAS to be able to
be played as a single note 'on the fly' -- no draw diving down to them.. one
HAS to be able to nail those notes as if they were any other draw/blow note
on the harmonica. Often, when questioned about learning those bent notes
precisely I will demonstrate to students the sequence of notes from 3 draw,
3 draw first bend, 3 draw second bend, 3 draw third bend, and then 3 blow,
and reverse the pattern. Or, 4 draw, 3 draw, 4 draw, 3 draw first bend, 4
draw, 3 draw second bend, 4 draw, 3 draw third bend as a variation.

A nifty little riff I like is 4 draw, 2 draw, 3 draw first bend, 2 draw, 3
draw second bend, release to 3 draw first bend, back down to 3 draw second
bend, 3 blow, slide over to 2 blow.

I "DO" think I subconsciously "hear" where I'm going to hit that bent note,
but it's so second nature any more it is automatic. Try starting out the
opening riff to "Stormy Weather" on the 3 draw first bend. Try playing
"Misty" on the low end...you'll HAVE to be able to hit those bent notes spot
on as DISCRETE, individual notes.

So, yes I can do it, yes I do prehear this in my head prior to hitting the
note. But, I owe it to having had Larry as my teacher many moons ago at
Augusta as an int/adv student.

Bill Otten