Re: [Harp-L] Re: Les Thompson

On Sep 5, 2009, at 1:52 AM, David Fairweather wrote:

I had the pleasure of meeting Les Thompson years ago at an after NAMM party.

Then you were surely blessed.

But what I didn't know at the time was that Les was featured at a legendary concert at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in 1949 where he was backed by the Howard McGhee (tpt) sextet featuring Wardell Gray (ts) and Dodo Marmarosa (d). The set led by Les came out on CD a few years ago.

Yeah, I have it.

The set led by Wardell is one of Gray's finest moments and has been a bebop classic for many decades.

There are a few instances where Les has a rough start on a number. But that's at the beginning before he is properly wamed up.

I don't know when Toots started playing jazz harmonica, but Les Thompson must be the first harmonica players to be featured with original beboppers like Maggie, Dell and Dodo!

That could very well be true but a few things come to MY mind. Thompson was born in No. Dakota Aug in Apr 23, Theilemanns in Belgium in Apr 22. When Belgium was invaded, Toots was already 19 (Les was 17 1/2). As far as I can tell Toots pretty much kept a low profile during the war. As for Les, he was probably felling trees and shooting buffalos. I find it hard to believe he was playing 'hot' music (that's what they called it then), by war's end. BOTH came on the scene right after the war BUT, it seems that since Rheinhardt & Grapelli were already influences on Toots, I would guess that Toots was first to play jazz.

Now since bee-bop was an American phenominon, I would imagine that Les would have been first in THAT genre. BUT, I'm not sure I would call what Les does AS bee-bop. It's progressive jazz. I would also imagine that since Toots was a guitarist FIRST, Les could have pre- dated him. In the end, I would also imagine that Toots was quite surprised when he heard Thompson for the first time. I know 'I' was. I (personally) don't think Thompson ever received the recognition he deserved.

I have several tunes where both of these genius' have played, and I have to admit that Toots comes off a little more cerebral and polished whereas Les comes across as more 'earthy' and naked. Both are letting it all out from within but Toots has that European background and sophistication seems to creep in until he totally looses it and starts to crank. Less, on the other hand is all blood and guts right from the get-go. I think his north woodsman persona just has to burst out.

All in all TWO of the greatest and my favorites of all time. On one particular tune 'You're Undecided Now' (or simply Undecided), I actually prefer Les Thompson's version. Toot's sounds more educated and has a more structured delivery..building and building, but Les' is sheer energy. I can actually imagine him loosing weight during a performance. The beautiful part is that BOTH of these gems will play for anyone, any number, at any time, any place, any reason, any weather, any HOW. Isn't it nice to imagine.....?

smo-joe's opinion
_