[Harp-L] Interesting PC-based Amp Simulation freeware found

Thanks to all that posted or emailed suggestions re: PC Amp simulation software.

In Richard Hunter's recent post he mentioned VST plug-ins. In
searching for freeware that might do the job I did come across a VST
plug-in that I quite like called FreeAmp 2.5. This is my first
experience with VST plug-ins and didn't know about them until this
“project”. This freeware utility is the sort of thing I was looking
for but with many more features than I would have expected.

FreeAmp 2.5 has a graphical user interface that is really user
friendly due to its appearance and layout.  The amp controls are shown
as knobs and switches, as on an actual amp. It gives a few preset
options in terms of amp characteristics in addition to the adjustable
controls.

To the right of these controls, an amp cabinet is shown. Various amp
appearances and speaker configurations can be selected for the amp
cabinet. It even allows one to select whether the back of the amp is
open or closed. Below are two rows of 5 effects peddles each that can
be selected from and adjusted. Also, there are 125+ presets that can
be chosen from, giving differing combinations of effects and settings.
One's own preferred settings can be saved as well.

There is also a recording feature that allows the capture of output in
WAV file format.

The VST host that I'm using is MiniHost. It is freely available as are
the drivers that need to be installed before MiniHost can be. The
installation of the drivers was straightforward. MiniHost just has to
be unzipped into it's own folder and works immediately. FreeAmp 2.5
unzips as a single .dll and is opened up via MiniHost. Instruction
manuals are included for both MiniHost and FreeAmp.

Here's a link to a pic of the interface:

http://picasaweb.google.com/johnnieharp/AmpSoftware#5378220493474912802

Here are the links to download the software:

Download then install this file. It contains the necessary drivers for MiniHost:

http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/ASIO4ALL_2_9_English.exe

it came from this page:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Then download and install MiniHost. It is required to open the
FreeAmp 2.5:

http://tobybear.phreque.com/files/minihost_164.zip

it came from this page:

http://www.tobybear.de/p_minihost.html

And finally download the FreeAmp 2.5 and unzip it:

http://frettedval.home.att.net/FreeAmp25.zip

It came from this page:

http://frettedsynth.home.att.net/

To open the FreeAmp 2.5, click on the MiniHost application icon, then
load FreeAmp by going to the VST menu heading and using the first
option under it which is “Load VST Plugin”. Find and select
“freeamp25.dll” and FreeAmp 2.5 will then load.

Let me know what you think. I'm interested to hear how those that
have/use the “real thing” or have experience with other software
products, find this software.

Thanks in advance,

Johnnie