Re: [Harp-L] talking techniques again

 The discussion has started to morph away from "owning" hole 3 inhale first bend and into all inhale notes created through bending techniques in holes 2 and 3.

This seems to be a common phenomenon - before one note is truly mastered, most harmonica players want them all.

I've discovered that truly understanding and complete control over this one inhale bend will lead to a more solid understanding and control of all the others. The path to "owning" 3 hole inhale bend can be used as a guide (w/slight variations) to "owning" them all. However, if you sort of get it and then want all the other notes with this limited understanding, you ultimately choose the longer path.

What seems to happen is that the student gets a little bit impatient or the deep understanding of this first technique appears to "take a long time" to grasp. Looking at the greater picture - yes, it does take a bit more time and effort for deep understanding on this first step. However, once you get there, you've got it for life and you apply what you've learned to all the other notes you wish to create through inhale bending techniques, and they come to you faster and faster. What you end up with is a secure confidence that you can nail these notes, which translates to less "avoidance" and less "fudging around" when you find yourself in the inhale bend moments, (and those of you out there, if you are truly honest with yourselves, know what I'm referring to).

Using outside sources to suggest the sound of 3 hole inhale first bend (piano, tuner reference, etc) are not the most powerful way to approach this problem. The best way is to learn to create the note all by yourself, using only your body - this means forcing yourself to (gasp) sing the note and hold it at good pitch. If you can't sing it, you can't play it very well. Rest assured that you don't have to have a good singing voice to benefit (whew).

For all the baby boomers I've taught, an excellent common song most know is "Spoonful" - the Cream version (my baby boomers were white middle class types, so they weren't hip to the original ODBG version of this song, but you can use that one as well if it is cataloged in your inner ear).

Play the two hole inhale on a harmonica whose key is one in which you can duplicate that note easily within your voice range.

This is the note you start singing "That" in the line "That spoon that spoon that spoon-full". The only other note used is up a minor third - "spoon", which is the three hole inhale first bend. So, get into starting from a reference point on your harmonica (two hole inhale bend) and sing until the melody will sound solid to someone else listening to you. Get to the point where you aren't sliding around looking for that second note up a minor third (spoon), but are hitting it solid. Raise your confidence level by sustaining that "spoon" note for five seconds or so.

Now you've created the note you are trying to master from within - not using an outside source.

It will be easier to deal with the creation of this inhale bend note on the harmonica if you own the source of this note from within yourself.

Then we can start to discuss the actual technique in simple terms - at the next lesson.

The Iceman