[Harp-L] Harmonetta inventor and page

I miswrote the name of the Harmonetta inventor, it's "Hans Bibus" not "Bilbus" as I wrote.

Art Daane has a page on Bibus and the Harmonetta here:

http://www.geocities.com/artdaane/hbibus.htm

I would love to get my hands on that circular one.

I can see why the first three of these were not made and the final Harmonetta design was--the middle two both require multiple sliders to function (these seem to be the instrument in US2478963) and anyone who has played a Chordomonica II knows how big a problem that can be with regard to air-leakage. The first is amazing, but quite complex (a sliding mouthpiece, perhaps several combs rotating in an assembly, some sort of buttons on one end...), most likely airtightness problems here as well and I can imagine it would be a bear to manufacture. I'm not sure what was better about the Harmonetta valve system to the one which I assume was used in the fourth prototype (presumable US2827818 ) but it must have proved better in testing or as complex as the Harmonetta is it may actually be a simpler arrangement (looking at the drawings) and that was used instead.

Neat, and interesting to see the ideas and development leading up to the final product.

JR Ross