[Harp-L] Out of the Moment

After the experience described in my previous "In the Moment" post, i spent some time sitting around trying to re-create what happened and i discovered something i hadn't realized that i was doing. As i said before, i am a mixed embouchure player but usually pucker for single note playing, although i can tongue block when i want to. From time to time I've mentioned that one advantage of tongue blocking is that a player can get the holes of the harmonica deep in the mouth past the top and bottom teeth which creates a nice large unobstructed oral resonance chamber.

Anyway, several years ago in quest of improved tone i started to use a deep embouchure when puckering, tilting the holes of the harp down towards my throat with the edge of the top coverplate pressing against the corners of my mouth. This, along with some other important alterations in my technique deepened and fattened my tone considerably. I never realized it before, but I just discovered that using this deep embouchure with the downward tilt actually puts the holes of the harp into my mouth PAST my top teeth, which, of course, improves the oral resonance chamber.

I've never been of the opinion that one must tongue block in order to achieve superior tone. But deep embouchure with as large as possible air aperture in the lips combined with deep diaphragmatic air production, an open throat, and a relaxed jaw are unquestionably important parts of the equation. Tongue blocking FORCES the player to do all these things automatically because otherwise it's not possible to tongue block effectively. But using good deep embouchure and doing all of these other things while puckering is very much more of an acquired skill. i just never realized before how truly close to a tongue blocked resonance chamber one can achieve this way.

And, of course, there is nothing more important than good tone.....

FWIW.

JP