[Harp-L] Out of the Moment

Johnny,

In order to form the largest possible opening or air aperture consistent with still getting a clean single note, the lips should be relaxed, but pouted out or pushed forward in a position which some have referred to as "fish mouth." The harp should be put so far into the mouth that it's actually the area inside the mouth just past the lip line that grips the harp, and lips themselves are OUTSIDE except, of course, where the lips come together at the corners of the mouth which is the only point where the lips themselves actually contact the harp, if this makes sense. (It's more easily done than described). I've posted on this before, and each time, I've received emails from other players afterwards who told me that doing what I suggested helped their playing and their tone. I know it sure has helped mine.

If you watch Christelle's videos, she usually pouts her lips out in this manner (almost as if she was about to give someone a kiss) right before she puts the harmonica in her mouth and starts to play. It's really not necessary to position the mouth this way ahead of time, but it's a pretty decent illustration of the desired positioning.

Depth of embouchure, staying relaxed, dropping the jaw, and maintaining AS LARGE AS POSSIBLE AIR APERTURE consistent with still isolating a single hole are all important, IMHO. Also, it is essential to be certain that all air pressure is generated from the diaphragm (not the mouth and not the lips). How far one tilts may depend on the particular player's anatomy and what is comfortable.

My upper teeth are not actually in contact with the top cover plate while playing because I maintain a large opening and a relaxed, open mouth position (almost as if i am yawning). But if I deliberately close my upper jaw a little, my upper teeth will contact the top coverplate. I've never thought about it before because i did not realize i was doing it until very recently, but this may provide a guide to proper depth and positioning of the harp: where do the bottoms of your 2 front teeth hit if you close down your upper jaw with the harp in playing position? I don't know for sure if this test will provide a useful guideline for everyone, since other player's anatomy may very somewhat. But it certainly works for me.

I don't OB, so I have no suggestions to offer about that.

Best regards,

JP