Re: [Harp-L] Melody Maker vs Paddy Richter tuning for Scottish fiddle tunes

A huge amount of Scottish music - which I've been playing pretty heavily for the last 8 or 9 years - can be played in first, second, or third position on standard tuned diatonics.

It's simply not true that a majority - or even a significant proportion -  of Scottish tunes are pentatonic. Some are, and a fair number of tunes use a six-note scale that omits one note of the major scale.

However, the majority of tunes use either a full seven-note scale - Major (first position), Mixolydian (flat 7th, second position), or Dorian (flat 3rd and 7th, third position). And many use an expanded scale,   adding a flat 7 or third to the major scale, or a raised 7th to the Mixolydian (second position) scale, or a raised 3rd or 7th to the Dorian (third position) scale.

That said, I do find it useful to bend down the Draw 3, which doesn't bother me. For that reason, I can see that Paddy Richter could be useful some of the time. However, it would make some things less convenient to play, as it would break up the smooth blow-chord arpeggio in first position.

Country tuning would make major tunes easier in second position. woever, the same tunes may play as well or better in first position. And raising the Draw 5 means you'd have to bend it down for first position tunes and third-positions tunes that are in Dorian. (however, it would open up third-position Mixolydian).

I use country tuning (raised Draw 5) for maybe two or three tunes, usually in second position. If I weren't playing the XB-40, which allows me to bend Blow 6 down, I might use country tuning for more tunes. But then I'd need both standard and country-tuned harps. I don't bother with paddied harps, but I can see why they'd be attractive.

As it is I can play the majority of Scottish tunes with three XB-40 harmonicas: G-harp (the most heavily used), A, and Low D. I also play tremolos for variety, and some tunes I prefer to play on chromatic, partly for pitch flexibility, partly for the sound. The chromatic I use the most is a Low D.

I'd recommend that you first get acquainted with the basic repertoire through the prism of standard tuned diatonics in first, second and third positions. Then, as you go, assess where alternate tunings will serve you personally.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa