[Harp-L] AXL Amps

Josh,
I'm no expert but my research indicates that both Akita and Johnson amps were designed by AXL (in California?) and are made in China.  Similar models of the two brands have very similar specs.  I've seen the Akitas at the local music shop but not played through one.  I've got a Johnson T25R.
The Akitas are very pretty and the veneer and construction looks good.  My brief look at the internals gave the impression that they're very similar to the Johnson - PCBs, plastic tube mounts, SS rectifier, good spring reverb, cheap speakers.
In Australia they're not real cheap, but all tube amps are stupid prices here.  From what I can gather, the quality control varies a bit.  If you get a good one they're very good, if you get a dud it depends on how much your dealer will support you.
They're OK as harp amps, but suffer from all the usual issues with guitar amps.  I've dropped the preamp tube gain in mine to 12AY7s (JJ Tesla) but have tried 12AU7s (EH).  It still feeds back when cranked with a hot Hi Z mic - I use a 520DX (dynamic) and a CAD 50VC (crystal).  It actually works pretty well with Lo Z mics (SM58) without a DI box - I can achieve a louder volume (than with the Hi Z mics) without feedback with the main volume on full and adjusting the preamp gain and/or the mic volume.
If I had my time over I'd not bother with guitar amps - get a HarpGear HG35 or a Sonny Jr Cruncher or something similar built for harp and avoid all the fiddling around.
Cheers
Maka