[Harp-L] Re: Paddy Richter vs. Melody Maker

I'd like to add my two cents worth here.

Steve Shaw wrote: "It's the tunes that work best on a G harp that call most
for the Paddy tuning."

With respect to Steve, I disagree: for me, one of the best things about
Paddy Richter tuning is that it opens up the whole of the bottom octave of
the D harp for melody playing. Though it is possible to use the Low D and
play the holes from 4 on up (as Steve likes to do), I prefer the funky sound
of the bottom octave of a standard D harp. Here is a video to show what I
mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1-BTe5oHhQ

The only note missing in the D scale is G, but that is an easy whole tone
bend on 2 draw, and it's generally a passing note in the modes associated
with a D harp. To my mind, the bend adds flavour to the tunes rather than
detracts from them.

Of course (as Steve point out) if the tune goes down to a low A or B, you do
need to use a Low D harp. And there are some tunes where the middle octave
layout is easier or more appropriate.

If not, I would almost always choose the standard D in Paddy Richter,
because of the earthy tonal qualities of that bottom octave.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE: http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic