Re: [Harp-L] Miles / All Blues

On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:46 PM, icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:

For the record, the quote below was not from my posting, but from a follow up posting by another lister.

Harmonica can convey a great feeling to jazz - both chromatic and sometimes diatonic.

Actually, a diatonic makes a TERRIFIC jazz instrument. ...er...as long as it is Smokey tuned.
smokey-joe

-----Original Message-----
From: John F. Potts <hvyj@xxxxxxx>
To: icemanle@xxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, Sep 11, 2009 7:54 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Miles / All Blues

Iceman sayeth:

Even at that, the harmonica in jazz just cannot convey the

feeling I get from listening to a good sax or trumpet player.

Larry,

True enough for the overwhelming most part. But, there is a tune on the ANGEL HEART movie soundtrack CD called "Right Key, But the Wrong Keyhole" sung by Lillian Boutte. On this tune, Sugar Blue plays amplified diatonic harmonica and sounds so much like a muted trumpet, you don't realize it's a harmonica at first. But, even after you do, the phrasing is so jazz horn like that it's amazing and conveys that precise feel and feeling one gets listening to a good jazz sax or trumpet player. Incredible, very sophisticated performance. Unbelievable tone and phrasing. I've never heard anything else like it from a harmonica player.

Btw, IMHO, the Miles Davis album “Kind of Blue” is (at least arguably) the best album ever recorded at any time in any genre.

Best regards,

JP