[Harp-L] TONE

Chris,

I understand and agree that the ability to control and vary one’s tone is very important and that tone should vary (if the player is capable of doing it) with the style of music being played But, I must respectfully disagree about throat produced tone necessarily being harsh. While throat produced tone certainly can be gritty and funky if the player wants it to be, nothing produces a sweeter, smoother, rounder, more melodic tone than deep, relaxed open throat playing.

I realize that the concept of deep throat sometimes has other connotations, but deep throat tone production and articulation does NOT always have to be harsh. It all depends on how you do it, the sort of resonance chamber that’s created, and the extent to which the player can avoid constriction of the air flow.

Of course, there are certainly other ways to go about it , and good results can also be obtained with other techniques. But, IMHO, it’s definitely not an either/or situation.

Best regards,

JP