[Harp-L] TONE/tone

JR Ross sayeth:

"I actually don't think there are that many tones to be explored-- wind instrument players tend to have singular, recognizable tone no matter the style or genre they are playing in."

Jon,

Maybe it's a matter of semantics. But changing the size and shape of the oral resonance chamber can produce fairly dramatic changes in tone/presentation (especially if simultaneously using a tight cup on the mic). Also, the relative depth or shallowness of air stream production, and the extent to which the throat and/or resonance chamber are relaxed or constricted will definitely produce differences in tone/presentation. Also, using the tongue instead of the diaphragm to articulate separation between notes, and how much of a "tail" one puts on tongue articulated separation, drastically changes the tone/presentation. Deliberately using a shallower embouchure will definitely affect tone.

Using mixed embouchure will affect tone when the holes of the harp are moved into the mouth past the top and bottom teeth as a passage is being played.

And, if, for some reason, a player wants to (or has been instructed to) sound like Bob Dylan, air pressure must be created more from the mouth and less from the diaphragm and throat, which creates a dramatic change in tone. (Personally, as my playing has improved over the years, i find this increasingly difficult to do.)

Altering the embouchure so that air escapes from around the lips while playing, or closing the teeth so the air stream is partially blocked by the teeth, or narrowing the embouchure and resonance chamber as if if to "kiss" each note can all produce variations in tone/presentation that can be used for effect on certtain passages. Opening the pharynx to allow air to escape or be drawn in through the nose while playing--especially while playing chords or split interval double stops--will definitely change the tone being produced.

Now, if one is an electric player, simultaneously changing mic grip/ cup and the proximity and orientation of the harp relative to the grill of the mic interacts with these techniques to vary tone and presentation to an even greater extent. But one does not even need to be using a mic to achieve the tonal variations i am attempting to describe.

One of the coolest things about the harmonica is the ability to change the presentation of how a note, chord or double stop sounds when it is played. The possible variations are almost limitless.

So, whether you call it "tone" or "presentation", the ability to vary or change how the instrument sounds in order to fit the particular material being played is extremely important. And if a player has achieved sufficient control over the instrument to be able to do this consistently and in a musically tasteful manner, he will be welcome in a much wider variety of performance situations. For an electric player, choice of microphone has a lot to do with this, too. Personally, i can't get a wide enough variation in response out of most bullet mics to be able to play up to my capabilities using one, but that's a different topic.

So, whether i have one tone that I vary to suit the material or whether i vary my tone to change the presentation of what i am playing may be a matter of semantics. But although I like to think that i have personal and identifiable sound, I certainly do not always employ the same tone/presentation for all material in every context.

FWIW,

JP