[Harp-L] Re: TONE/tone

I said (more than once) in my previous post that we may be talking about a semantic difference

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that, however I do think these are two separate but not distinct issues (which is what makes talking about the difference difficult).

Wind players maintain a single, firm, and, for the most part, unbroken, column of airflow and manipulate the keys of their instrument and adjust embouchure to get particular notes. Harmonica player alter the airflow itself while playing in order to do what it is necessary to do in order to play.

I don't agree. Other wind players are altering the airflow in order to bend notes, overblow, etc... The way they produce notes is different, but what is done to shape and form the timbre of those notes is in the same class as what harmonica players do--I don't believe the blow/draw distinction here is all that important.

JR Ross