[Harp-L] Voodoo Blues Krewe IBC contest

The Voodoo Blues Krewe (New Orleans Blues Society) International Blues Challange first round was held this past Saturday, Sept 19, at Big Al's Saloon.  There were eight bands competing, four of which had harmonica players. Including Smoky Greenwell, formerly of War, Oscar Cabellero with his Bluescats, Thomas Walker with Little Red and Big Bad, and myself as a special guest with an all female group (except me) called 30X90.  I play special occasions and parties with them sometimes.  My girls rose to the occasion, and rocked the house.  We are scheduled to play Oct 10 in the finals at the world famous Rock N Bowl in New Orleans, along with a 30 year fixture on Bourbon Street, the All Purpose Blues Band, led by Willie Lockett, also know as Hambone.  They have the best guitar player in city, Billy Gregory.

What maked this very special is that our lead singer, and drummer, Sticky T, had breast cancer and lymph node surgery about 4 weeks ago, and was under strict orders not to play, by her doctor.  She did it anyway, and rose to the occasion.  Its the power of music, and the blues.

The next round on Sept 26th  includes two harp based bands, and is being held at a place called the Kamp.   Four bands total are going to the Finals.  If you are in the New Orleans Area on October 10th.  make sure yor are in attendance.  It should be a war. And don't forget to yell for 30X90.

Harvey Berman