Re: [Harp-L] Stevie Wonder on Brand New Day

"Brendan Power" wrote:
<Cool to hear Rob Pararozzi's version of Stevie-style harmonica on Brand New
<Day, sounds great :) It is really fascinating to study Stevie's style
<closely, one can learn so much!
<
<His highly sophisticated sense of timing is really the key, I think, as well
<as the way he inflects the notes. What an incredibly talented man he is: one
<of the greatest harmonica players of all time, and it's just a sideline for
<him! Truly awe inspiring...

This is probably a good time to note that my book "Jazz Harp" includes detailed transcriptions and performance notes for 3 of Stevie's great solos: "Please Don't Go," "For Once In My Life," and "Creepin'."  Let me tell you that it was plenty hard to select only 3 solos for transcription from an oeuvre that contains dozens of masterpieces.

As per Brendan's comments, most harmonica players can learn a lot from Stevie.  I mean that in two ways: first, he has a lot to teach, and second, even players with intermediate technique can quickly incorporate Stevie's ideas into their own playing.

Now if only it was that easy to write songs as good as Stevie's...

Regards, RH

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter